Helsinki's Hits

Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors

Monday, April 28, 2008

Wuthering Heights


Wuthering heights by Emily Brontё is a classic novel studied for literature in many secondary schools. Ok I know what you’re thinking and I’m pretty sure Helsinki will agree with you about it being terrible but truly it is a beautiful novel.
Although people say it was unrealistic, boring and something that shouldn’t be studied in schools I believe that it is a fantastic example of what true love is and how much people can suffer for what they truly want. The story takes place on the Yorkshire moors in the 19th century and captures the end of a long journey of Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliffs twisted, sick but passionate love. However as Emily Brontё narrates in the movie (1992 version) “not a smile at any part of it” because, much like a lot of love stories this unresolved passion eventually destroys both themselves and many others around them. The story involves two narrators, Nelly and Lockwood as they explain (in their own personal point of views) how each character acted and what they did. Although, as my literature class found, this made our opinions of some of the characters clouded and we weren’t sure how to react with Nelly’s point of view because we didn’t know whether it was the full facts. I enjoyed this novel more because I read it in a small class of students where everyone was passionate about debating and reading and therefore we got a very good response. As we found you can discuss Wuthering heights for hours on end and have your eyes opened up even more to the ideas.
The movie was a fantastic interpretation of Wuthering heights and I am so happy that a movie kept to the script of the book. FINALLY! The only thing that changed in the movie to the book was the narrator and how it changed to Emily Brontё which I found so much better because you got the raw character, heard things from their own mouth and was interpreted by how the author saw them. And really I’ll take her word over everyone’s. Come on she kinda created the characters!
All in all I rate this amazing, original story 4 out of 5. The mark taken off for admittedly being a bit slow
A heads up: there are many versions of Wuthering heights if you don’t like my beloved Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort from harry potter). There is an mtv version where Heathcliff is changed to heath etc and the classic older version of Wuthering heights done in the 40s where Laurence Olivier plays Heathcliff. Unfortunately this version has been deleted off the lists to order in from anywhere because of how old it is. Shame shame 
Be back soon with more!
Jinx xx
The Blind Sisters

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wuthering Heights is an awesome story!... but the first couple of chapters are, yes, very dull.

You're doing good girls. It saddens me that there are no comments. :( You have one now.

Applause! Applause!

Tory said...

Ahh... Wuthering Heights... So many memories...
It seems like only yesterday that Jess was drooling over Ralph Fiennes on the TV while trying to convince to the entire class that Heathcliff was 'good' not 'evil'. I still remember dressing up as Hareton for our last lit lesson (although I will NEVER forget what he did to those poor puppies as I continuously stated last year). IT WAS INSANE! O.o

However, despite these fond memories, I think I would have to agree more with Kat on this one. Wuthering Heights seemed to me much more of a 'torture' story as opposed to a true love story. When people compare the love between Heathcliff and Cathy to that of Darcy and Elizabeth or Romeo and Juliet, I mentally cringe. All in all, I believe the two were selfish.

But my dearest Gilly, on that note, I will admit that Heathcliff and Cathy, in my opinion, remain to be one of the best characters in literature. You hated them for always thinking about themselves and you hated Heathcliff for torturing everyone who crossed his path BUT a good character is one that can make your reader have some sort of reaction. And in my opinion, they're the characters you love to hate... if that makes sense.

My opinion – not much of a fan of the story itself, but excellent characters… I don’t even know if that makes sense but anyway…
LOVED this post by the way! Keep it up!